The Nexat system generated a lot of buzz at the Farm Progress Show 2023. Nexat can be used for spraying, planting, harvesting and more. Nexat will also be present for the first time at the Agritechnica trade show in Hanover, Germany, to showcase the innovative technology.
Nexat stands for Next Generation Agricultural Technology and is a tool carrier for soil cultivation, sowing, crop protection and harvesting. This special bridge vehicle uses a traction path system to reduce soil compaction: Nexat. According to the manufacturers, the system covers only 5% of the area and leaves 95% unused. Nexat is manufactured by the German company Kalverkamp Innovation. Kalverkamp’s North American offshoot Terrakamp showed the system at the Farm Progress Show 2023.
Nexat is electrically driven. The generators are currently powered by two 550 hp efficient diesel engines, but the generators are prepared to be powered by green hydrogen fuel cells. As each application is integrated, its weight is transferred onto the carrier vehicle and optimized for even distribution and maximum performance. This enables the applications to be accurately guided with less slip, significantly reducing the vehicle’s fuel consumption and CO2-emissions.
Text continues below picture
The 60 centimeter wide tracks provide a total contact surface of 4.4 square meters to distribute the weight of the Nexat. In addition, thanks to the 170-degree steering angle of each track, the vehicle can switch between a longitudinal or transverse driving mode.
On the road, the machine drives lengthwise and reaches a speed of 40 km/h and has an outer width of 3.50 meters. Thanks to the automatic four-wheel steering, the over 14 meter long vehicle has a turning circle of 25 meters. In the field, the tracks are rotated 90 degrees and are ready for use with a track width of 14 meters.
A key point of the system is the possibility to integrate different work modules into the C-shaped frame. To park a machine and pick up another, the frame is height adjustable by 80 centimeters. In addition, the driver can operate the vehicle with a remote control to monitor the module change from the ground.
The Nexat can move autonomously while working. However, German manufacturer Kalverkamp assumes that it will take several years before no one will have to supervise the work of a seeder or combine on site. That is why the Nexat has been given a Fritzmeier cabin. You may know this from the Fendt Katana chopper.
The Fritzmeier cabin hangs in a parallelogram at the front of the Nexat. This means that the driver sits in the front seat when driving on the road. He can also hydraulically rotate the cabin and adjust its height for good visibility while working. Cameras have been installed, because the driver cannot see the last row of the corn picker.
Text continues below video
The system will be open to all suppliers in the future. The manufacturer is now working with some medium-sized companies from different sectors. For soil cultivation and sowing technology this is the Swedish Väderstad. The Swedes have installed modules for soil cultivation and sowing technology. For crop protection, Dammann built a module with a spray width of 70 meters and a spray tank with a capacity of 24,000 liters.
By integrating the modules into the frame, each implement becomes virtually self-propelled. The weight is partly transferred to the carrying vehicle. This should allow much more precise guidance of the implements, as well as less slip while driving.
Nexat GmbH also has plans for the future. In the coming season, Nexat will launch a limited number of pre-series vehicles, which will gain experience in as many places as possible in the world. The Lower Saxony company is also working on further developments. For example, span widths of the carrier vehicle from 6 to 24 meters are conceivable to meet the most diverse requirements worldwide.
Prices are not yet known at this time. Kalverkamp indicates: “Because we do not store such expensive parts as the engine, chassis and cabin in the corner of the combine harvester for the rest of the year, but also use them for all other work, mechanization with the new concept will not more expensive than conventional equipment with combines, tractors and implements.”
Co-authors: Tobias Bensing, Hubert Wilmer